If you are looking to leverage Phone System capabilities in Office 365 with Microsoft Teams, understanding the functionality of dial plans is one of the main steps.
What are Teams dial plans?
A dial plan is a named set of normalization rules that translate dialed phone numbers by an individual user into an alternate format for purposes of call authorization and voice routing.
A dial plan consists of one or more normalization rules, that define how phone numbers expressed in various formats are translated to an alternate format. The same dial string may be interpreted and translated differently in different dial plans, so depending on which dial plan is assigned to a given user, the same dialed number may be translated and routed differently. There can be a maximum of 1,000 tenant dial plans.
In MS Teams, there are two types of dial plans:
- Service-scoped: For every country or region where Phone System is available
- Tenant-scoped: Each user is automatically assigned the service country dial plan that matches the usage location assigned to the user. So, if you want to augment the service country dial plan, you need to use tenant-scoped dial plans.
As an admin, you can manage and assign dial plan scope levels by using the Microsoft Teams admin center or Remote PowerShell.
Create or manage dial plans in Teams
- In the left navigation of the Microsoft Teams admin center, go to Voice > Dial plan
- Click Add, and then enter a name and description for the dial plan
- Under dial plan details, specify an external dialing prefix if users need to dial one or more additional leading digits
- Under Normalization rules, configure and associate one or more normalization rules for the dial plan. Each dial plan must have at least one normalization rule associated with it
- Click Save
- You can test the dial plan, go under Test dial plan, enter a phone number, and then click Test
To get more detail about external dialing prefix or normalization rules, you can read this article.
Add Voice to you Microsoft Teams
If you are ready to take the next step, please, don’t hesitate to reach out. As a certified Microsoft Partner we can help you develop the MS Voice stack your business need allowing you and your team focus in the core of your organization. You can count on us for expertise on Microsoft Teams licensing, project planning, Microsoft Teams Voice readiness, Microsoft Teams DID porting assistance, training, support and more.
Your might also like: